Several key associations have joined together to offer free legal assistance to North Carolina victims of Hurricane Matthew. “This is awesome news for lower income people who have lost their belongings because of damage sustained from Hurricane Matthew,” said attorney Thomas Bumgardner. “A toll-free number has been set up to assist North Carolina residents who may need legal help.”
Free Legal Assistance for Low-Income Survivors
A partnership between the North Carolina Bar Association, Legal Aid of North Carolina, the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division and the Federal Emergency Management Agency established this free service.
Step 1: Call (800) 662-7407
Step 2: Callers should identify that they are seeking Hurricane Matthew-related legal assistance, ask for Disaster Legal Services, and should identify the county in which they are located.
Step 3: Survivors who qualify for assistance will be matched with North Carolina lawyers who have volunteered to provide free legal help.
The free legal assistance hotline is available weekdays from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
(800) 662-7407 for free NC Hurricane Matthew legal assistance
“Survivors should be aware that there are some limitations on disaster legal services,” added Bumgardner. “For example, assistance is not available for cases that will produce a fee like cases where fees are paid as part of the settlement by the court.”
Examples of Free Legal Assistance Available
- Assistance with securing FEMA and other benefits available to disaster survivors
- Assistance with life, medical and property insurance claims
- Help with home repair contracts and contractors
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster
- Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies and procedures
- Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
- Counseling on landlord/tenant problems
“Unfortunately these storm survivors should be aware of the potential of fraud,” said Bumgardner. “Common post-disaster fraud practices include phony housing inspectors, fraudulent building contractors, bogus pleas for disaster donations, and fake offers of state or federal aid.”
We help families with all types of legal problems and challenges. Call us today at (704) 870-4779 and schedule a free consultation. Or you can use your contact form here. Be sure to bring all of your paperwork and correspondence with you to your meeting. There is strength in numbers.