This past Friday and Saturday saw the first major storm of the year for the Charlotte area. While counties to the north and west accumulated snow, Mecklenburg County roadways were hit with inches of ice.
“The Charlotte Metropolitan area has well over two million residents, many of whom commute to work every day,” said Thomas D. Bumgardner, Charlotte accident attorney. “Accidents on i-85, 77 and 485 are daily occurrences, but this past weekend’s weather really exacerbated the issue. “
Conditions were so poor that police have attributed five deaths and dozens of accidents to the winter weather. As a reminder, we have outlined the steps you need to take if you have been involved in a car accident:
- Get medical attention for anyone who may be injured. Even in low-speed impact accidents, pain may not be felt until hours or days later. It is best to be safe and not take any chances when it comes to your health.
- Call the police. An officer will be able to officially file a report on the incident. If they see that one person is at fault, they will make a note of it in their report. They may also be able to detect if the other driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Get their full name, address, phone number, license plate number, insurance company name and policy number.
- Take Pictures of the accident. Take photos of the damage to your car, the other driver’s car and conditions on the road. Try to capture any skid marks and even speed limit signs that may be nearby.
- Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company and contact an auto accident attorney. The other driver’s insurance company may try to settle your claim for much less than what you deserve.
With the weather causing so many accidents over the weekend, it is possible that some of these incidents were caused by the negligence of another. If you or a loved one were involved in an accident and you believe it was caused by negligence, you may be eligible for compensation for any medicals bills or property damage
Call an Auto Accident Lawyer you can Trust
Thomas D. Bumgardner has been serving citizens of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area for years, helping them get the justice they deserve. Call today to discuss your case for free: (704) 887-4981