Did you know, just a few extra minutes in the birth canal can cause enough oxygen deprivation to cause brain injuries that would impact a child’s entire life? Even mild oxygen deprivation can lead to loss of cognitive function
“In some of these cases, steps could have been taken by the doctors and other medical staff to prevent brain damage,” said Thomas D. Bumgardner, Ballantyne personal injury lawyer. “When the doctor has been neglectful, the family truly deserves compensation for a lifetime of medical costs.”
What Causes Brain Injuries During Birth?
Birth Asphyxia occurs in four of every 1,000 full-term births. Premature babies are at a higher risk for oxygen deprivation. The following can cause a baby to be deprived of oxygen:
- Umbilical Cord Issues – If the umbilical cord gets bent and blood flow stops; this can cause severe oxygen deprivation.
- Mother’s Blood Pressure – If the mother’s blood pressure is too low, the amount of blood the child receives may not be adequate.
- The Baby Gets Stuck in the Birth Canal – The child could get stuck while his or her head is in the birth canal, causing deprivation.
All of these cases can be prevented or alleviated if the doctor monitors everything properly and acts in a timely manner – they may be guilty of malpractice if they fail to spot these issues or react accordingly.
Symptoms of Brain Damage
Depending on the cause, infants will exhibit different symptoms of brain damage. The most common symptoms include:
- Difficulty focusing eyes
- Abnormally large forehead
- Neck Stiffness
- Spinal Abnormalities
A child with brain damage may also exhibit the following behaviors:
- Excessive crying
- Refusal to eat or receive nourishment
- Trouble laying down normally
- Unexplained and frequent fussiness
Consult With an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
If you feel that your child’s brain injuries may be caused by the negligence of a medical professional, it is important that you speak with a personal injury lawyer. Thomas D. Bumgardner has years of experience fighting for his clients in order to win their family the compensation they deserve.
To schedule a free consultation, please call (704) 870-4779